Tuesday 7 June 2011

Choux Pastry


My mum goes mad for these "cream puffs". This is a bit nostalgic for my brother and I. When we were young and living in Penang, mum used to buy these swan shaped cream puffs for us as special treats. I remember my brother and I tried to bake the swans when we were teenagers, I failed miserably with the swan's neck, I think his attempts were better. Now I just make round ones, less fiddly, more time to enjoy them with a cup of tea. I fill them with Chantilly cream. I've made chocolate cream spiked with Kahlua, and other versions spiked with Baileys or Cointreau, all yum. A splash of alcohol covers all sins.

Ingredients:
1 cup water
75g butter (salted)
1 cup plain flour
4 eggs lightly beaten

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Boil water and butter.
  3. Sift flour and add to the water/butter all at once.
  4. Stir and cook for 1-2 mins until mixture leaves the side of pan and forms a ball.
  5. Remove from heat and cool.
  6. Add eggs one at a time, beat well until glossy.
  7. Dropped spoonfuls of mixture on a greased try, allowing some room for the doughs to expand.
  8. Bake in hot oven 200C for 10mins, then drop the temperature down to 180C and bake for another 20mins. Turn the oven off, allow the pastries to dry out in the oven for 5 mins.
  9. Fill them when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...